Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Journal Entry 1: Angels and Demons

" ...when Kohler failed to return at the proper time for his daily injections; the director's physical condition required regular treatments, and when he decided to push his luck, the results were never pretty-respiratory shock, coughing fits..."
pg.126


I can relate to this quote since I also have had to take medicine daily when I was younger. When I was young I was diagnosed with asthma and had to use a puffer once a day. It usually acts up in the summer and as a result I sometimes end up having severe coughing fits, like Kohler, that cause me to cough so much I am unable to breath(to a small extent) and it also causes me to throw up. Not the most pleasant thing to wake-up to at 1:00 in the morning. But the good news is that my asthma is now practically gone and I have not had an attack for over 2yrs.

~~~~~~


"A Pope usually worked fourteen-hour days, seven days a week, and died of exhaustion in an average of 6.3 years." pg.202

This fact really caught me off guard. It made me think about what the Pope actually does that would be so exhausting that it would cause your life span to be compromised. I know that the Pope travels around blessing people, praying, and conducting sermons, but how stressful would that be? And if the job is really that stressful why do they only chose men between 65 and 80 years old? It really is puzzling? By reading this part it to an extent makes me want to look up what the job of the Pope really is.

2 comments:

Derrick said...

I certainly can understand your sympathy for Dr Kohler, as I can as well. Being Diabetic, I take and average of 6 shots of insulin a day, and if I don't, I get very sick, lose massive amounts of weight, and all of my organ sustain massive damage. Also, the Popes work schedule is very impressive, and I agree that it is bizarre that they choose such an old person to do that.

Lokearan said...

Asthma is a rather terrible thing to deal with and it really makes you feel bad for Kohler especially when you find out what happened to him when he was a kid.

What does a Pope do????? Besides what you've stated I can't think of anything else, and it didn't make sense to me either that the Pope has to be older. I suppose they'll be more wise that way, but still. I guess it could be stressful having to find ways of talking to people about God and religion, I assume they're constantly writing out speeches and always learning more about their religion.